Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Unexpected weather

The weather the last few weeks up here has been pretty horrible, it rained every day for over a week. Needless to say I didn't think I would be fishing, especially since it's getting down to the wire with school and finals before I take off for the South Pacific for a few months. Anyways, Erik and I decided to go hit Berryessa. We got on the water, and within a few minutes of stopping to fish we stripped out of all of our foul weather gear. We were unsure of how warm it actually got, but it was definitely over 70*. The fishing itself was tough, the water had clearly risen very fast, this was apparent from the amount of fresh, green vegetation as deep as 7' (that was the best visibility we found). I mostly threw a 6" Huddelston swimbait, looking for that bigger bite and Erik threw various plastics and cranks. I got my first bite at around 1400, but it didn't stick. Erik stuck our first fish of the day (a small LMB) at about 1700 on a crank, so I played follow the leader. I put a pair of bass on the boat in about 6 casts. Erik finished up with another and we called it a day. 

Photobucket

Its kind of embarrassing for me to admit this, but I am unsure of whether my fish were spots or smallies. Anyone got any feedback?


Edit- a buddy helped me out. The fish from left to right are a mean mouth (smallie/spot hybrid), a smallie, LMB, and another smallie.

No comments:

Post a Comment